We develop students’ readiness for their lives after Spa through our work experience offer. Work experience and careers guidance are co-ordinated by our assistant headteacher in KS5 and our assistant headteacher for transitions.
All pupils in KS5 have an opportunity to work in The School House Café. The hours and tasks they complete are matched to their interests and needs. Some students complete WJEC Employability qualifications as part of their Schoolhouse Café work experience placements.
Pupils have opportunities to work with organisations within the local community. Last year pupils worked at the Bede Centre and with the DePaul organisation.
Further opportunities are provided through The Park College link programme. All pupils complete Enterprise activities. Last term these culminated in planning and running a Winter Fair. Students also try a range of jobs relating to:
- Event management
- College administration
- Cycle maintenance
- Garden management.
The Park College link programme has provided opportunities for Spa students to gain experience of working with partner organisations. These include:
- I’m at Work: Self Cook Supper Club
- Library and event management at CLPE
Pupils in KS3 and 4 develop their understanding and readiness for the world of work in the following ways:
- Learning about jobs and career paths in PSHE and in English
- Interviewing people about their jobs in PSHE
- ASDAN curriculum units
- Developing responsibility through jobs and tasks within the school
- Using the TEACCH program to develop independence and developing the ability to recognise when a task has been completed.