Our learning-by-doing approach to cooking makes it an interesting, creative and exciting subject. We focus for on developing practical skills to support students to become more independent and to enjoy cooking.
Students also develop their understanding of the nutritional value of a wide range of ingredients and of what a healthy and balanced diet looks like.
The cooking room is a creative space that offers all the facilities needed for teaching and learning. Every student in the school has access to a range of equipment and resources to enable them to develop their
- cooking skills – preparing non-cooked and cooked items, using equipment and appliances and working hygienically;
- communication skills – asking for help, requesting items, planning a recipe with an adult or peer, showing preference and developing language;
- independence – following a recipe, planning a recipe, preparing and cooking food for themselves and others, developing confidence and preparing them for employment.
In Key Stage 3 and 4 students develop their skills through a range of recipes. They are encouraged to become involved in as many aspects of the cooking process as possible. We use a cooking skills checklist that is unique to Spa to carefully monitor their progress. Once proficient, students are challenged to develop their skills further to cook for themselves and others.
In Key Stage 5 cooking merges with the accredited Healthy Living course. Students develop a more in-depth knowledge of
- how cooking is linked to a healthy lifestyle
- the principles of a healthy diet
- the skills needed to make healthy meals
- the nutritional needs of the body
- safe and hygienic working practices.
Students are closely supported by staff to ensure a balance is maintained between keeping them safe when cooking and giving them opportunities and freedom to develop their skills.
Our hands-on approach builds confidence when working in the kitchen environment, with food and when they are cooking.
Learning about food, cooking, health and hygiene are important skills for life. We inspire students to develop a real interest in food and support them to learn how to prepare a snack or a meal as independently as they can.